Monday, April 16, 2007

The Great Search

I went up the mountain to see the three wise men. For three days I climbed, and when I reached the top, I was told I could only see one.

I saw the first wise man, and I asked him, "where did we come from? Where are we going? Why do we care?"

The first wise man, for three days, led me back down the mountain, filling my head with sweet nothings. Unsatisfied with my answer, I once again went up the mountain. This time, I saw the second wise man.

I asked the second wise man, "Why are we here? Where are we going? Why do we want to go there?"

The second wise man simply handed me a flower, and said, "This is the answer to all your questions. Take it, and cherish it forever."

I placed the flower in my pack, and spent three days hiking back down the mountain. When I reached the bottom, I found the flower had withered and died. Again, for three days, I hiked back up the mountain to see the second wise man.

"You came to me seeking answers, and I gave you what I had," the wise man replied to my outbursts. "That you wasted my ephemeral gift is your own fault." And with that, he sent me back down the mountain.

I climbed the mountain one final time, to see the final wise man. I stormed into the third wise man's chamber, and shouted, "Listen! I've come to find the answer to the question of my existence. I've been up and down this mountain seven times, and spent 21 days climbing. I don't want meaningless warm fuzzies, and I don't want cryptic puzzles. Just, please, answer my question. How should I live my life?"

The third wise man leaned in close, and softly said to me, "Stop climbing mountains, you fuckwit."


ADDENDUM:

No comments: